- Begin Certification Training (PDF)
- AOP Frequently Asked Questions
- Ordering Forms, Etc.
The Texas Administrative Code , Subchapter J, establishes that individuals and/or entities (offices, hospitals, etc.) who process the Acknowledgment of Paternity (AOP) form are required to be certified by the Office of the Attorney General. No one may process the AOP without being certified because once once filed with the Texas Vital Statistics Unit (VSU), the AOP creates a legal finding of paternity that can affect the child and parents for the rest of their lives. Certification must be renewed annually.
Instructions for Completing This Training
- Click Begin Certification Training (PDF)
- You may review the training online or print the document.
- At the end of the training, there are instructions for how to obtain the certification exam.
- The exam will be sent to you by email, and you may return the answers by email.
- You will be contacted via email with the results of your exam. A representative may contact you to discuss areas of the exam that show you had difficulty.
The Acknowledgment of Paternity (AOP) process is addressed in both State and Federal law. The training will reference these laws. For your convenience, you also may view and print these documents at any time, before or after the training, using the following links and your own resources.
NOTE: To view and print PDF format files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. You may use the icon at the right to download this free accessory, if you need it.
- Texas Family Code
- Texas Administrative Code, Subchapter J
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 1, Part 3, Chapter 55: All Subchapters pertaining to: "Administration, Office of the Attorney General, Child Support Enforcement"
- Texas Administrative Code Defined
- United States Code (PRWORA - Personal Responsibility Work and Recovery Act of 1996)
- HR 3734 and other related links, provided by THOMAS Legislative Information
Ordering AOP Material and Forms
The following links connect you to printable PDF and word processor files for order forms and instructions, and other helpful free AOP documents.
Requisitions for Forms and AOP material:
- VSU Requisition for Texas Vital Statistics Forms (VS-100) (PDF)
- OAG Request for POP Material (PDF)
- Brochures, Posters, Parent Survey on the AOP and Paternity video
Other printable (PDF format) AOP material:
- Benefits Rights and Responsibilities (Bilingual)
- Copy of the back of the AOP that can be given to the parent; includes Rights & Responsibilities, Denial of Paternity, and Change of Mind
- Parent Survey Form 1798 (Bilingual)
- A checksheet that will help you to complete the AOP form accurately and avoid error
For questions regarding the Acknowledgment of Paternity certification process, please contact our AOP Hotline at (866) 255-2006 or send an email to [email protected]
You may also find a Paternity Outreach Coordinator in your area.